Consumables for air conditioning systems from RP-TOOLS - Quality from the professionals
Workshops repair, refurbish and maintain vehicles. In addition to the right tools and high-quality lifting platforms, the consumables are an essential part of the daily work here. No oil change or air conditioning service can be carried out without the necessary oils or filters. RP-TOOLS therefore offers its customers not only machines and tools but also contrast media and accessories for air conditioning systems and other consumables in proven RP-TOOLS quality.
Leak detection with UV ? A/C service made easy
The air conditioning service is one of the most frequent maintenance operations on passenger cars, along with oil changes and the six-monthly tyre change. Regular monitoring remains essential. Especially the misconception of many vehicle users that switching off the A/C system saves fuel usually leads to the opposite effect, i.e. resinification of the coolant or even to the occurrence of leaks in the A/C system.
Depending on the design of an air conditioning system, the maintenance work to be carried out varies slightly. In general, leaks are relatively easy to find in all types of air conditioning systems with the aid of special contrast media. To do this, the UV agent is filled into the air conditioning system and mixed with the refrigerant. If the contrast-refrigerant mixture now emerges from the leak, the leak can be easily located with a UV lamp and repaired accordingly.
Safety when handling refrigerants
Due to the various, sometimes dangerous, side effects of direct or indirect contact with refrigerants, it is imperative that the following instructions are observed during work:
- Wear protective goggles and gloves: normal atmospheric pressure and ambient temperatures cause liquid refrigerant to evaporate so quickly that contact with skin or eyes can lead to frostbite. There is a risk of blindness!
- Ventilate the workplace adequately: Inhalation of high concentrations of gaseous refrigerant causes oxygen deficiency in the blood, similar to carbon monoxide poisoning, which can lead to dizziness and suffocation. For this reason, work on the refrigerant circuit must also not be carried out in working pits. Gaseous refrigerant is heavier than air and would accumulate there in very high concentrations.
- Absolute smoking ban: Cigarette embers would be able to break down the refrigerant into toxic substances. In addition to this advice, the following also applies: never bring the refrigerant into contact with hot metal or open fire. Deadly gases can also be produced here.
- Never allow refrigerant to escape into the atmosphere: If the refrigerant container or the air conditioning system is opened without further ado, the refrigerant will escape at high pressure. This pressure depends on the initial temperature.
- Avoid exposure of air conditioning system components to heat: Even after painting, vehicles must not be heated above 75°C (drying oven). If a higher temperature cannot be avoided, the air conditioning system must be drained beforehand.
- Additional notes: The connections of the service hoses should not be held in the direction of the body when removing them, as refrigerant residue may still escape. When cleaning the vehicle, never point steam jets directly at parts of the air conditioning system. In addition, the factory setting of the regulating screw on the expansion valve should never be changed.
Select air conditioning system oils suitable for the system
In addition to the refrigerant, air conditioning systems require air conditioning oils for friction-free operation. In particular, fully synthetic, hygroscopic oils based on polyalkylene glycol are used here. These consumables called PAG oils are used with different viscosities by many different compressor and vehicle manufacturers in air conditioning systems with refrigerant R134a. Oils with the viscosity class PAG 46 are particularly popular in this area of application. However, the specifications of the vehicle manufacturers are decisive.
In the online shop of RP-TOOLS you will find, in addition to high-quality oils and consumables, of course many other aids for daily use in automotive workshops and test centers. We can also offer you a wide range of different options and machines for retrofitting air conditioning systems. Do you have any questions about our range or are you unsure which equipment is suitable for use in your environment? Please feel free to contact us by phone or e-mail. We will be happy to provide you with advice and assistance on workshop equipment, installation of equipment, questions about the range or training.